Flatbush Development Corporation is seeking an experienced applicant who, under the supervision of the Director of Youth Services, will be responsible for ensuring that the Afterschool Program meets all program standard and funding guidelines. The Program Director must be able to plan and organize a structured program consisting of educational and recreational activities according to age group, supervise staff and maintain a high level of communication between school representatives and participants. In addition, the Program Director will be responsible for the management of the entire OST program at his/her site.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise staff according to FDC policies.
- Ensure that all DYCD, DOH and FDC Guidelines are followed and adhered to.
- Responsible for data entry, reports, snack, securing space, security and all other administrative duties/documentation requirement in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that adequate supplies and equipment are kept safe and available for programmatic needs.
- Promote literacy, multiculturalism, parent and community involvement through appropriate program enhancements and activities.
- Respond to e-mails and phone messages within twenty-four (24) hours.
- Maintain accurate records pertaining to licensing requirements, staff/child health and safety.
- Evaluate and document staff performance informally and formally during the program year.
- Serve as a liaison with school personnel. Create a Parent Advisory and Youth Advisory Group. Attend school planning meeting and PTA meetings. Develop community relations with other community organizations or programs.
- Supervise the completion, collection and submission of data and reports to DYCD (Department of Youth and Community Development) as required under contract agreement.
- Supervise and plan summer programs including securing DOH license.
- Actively participate in designated meetings and training sessions as needed and/or requested.
- BA/BS in Education or related field.
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- Experience working with youth in school age programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Current First Aid/CPR/RTE certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “OST Director” – to firstname.lastname@example.org
OST Group Leader
Flatbush Development Corporation is seeking well rounded, outgoing, friendly individuals who have a passion working with elementary students to apply for our Group Leader position. The Group Leader has the closest relationship with the participants in their group and will not only be an influential role model, but also directly impact the children’s overall camp experience. Above and beyond all of the day-to-day challenges of being a Group Leader, it is one of the most rewarding position and crucial for a successful afterschool program.
- Maintain a ratio of one (1) counselor for every 10 students.
- Attend the minimum required 15 hours of staff training during the school year.
- Attend 2 Saturday trainings. Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Implement the Program curriculum, helping school age children to improve literacy competencies, values and physical fitness in an activity based after school environment.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident/accident/behavior reports, attendance & sign-in / sign-out sheets).
- Assist children with homework and guide students in their academic growth.
- Develop academic curriculum reflective of the project based learning model.
- Create innovative age appropriate activities and develop lesson plans to conduct.
- Communicate with families, on a weekly basis, about their children’s strengths and areas needing attention.
- Prepare the learning environment by creating a welcoming space that exhibits student work.
- Work as part of a collaborative team; provide support to other Specialists in implementing activities.
- Understand and communicate FDC Youth program philosophy and the goals of the program to the participants and parents.
- Adhere to all Department of Health and FDC policies and standards.
- Communicate effectively with peers, participants, supervisors and school administration.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events
- Associates Degree or 1 year of college with course work in child development or related field in which working with children is the focus.
- Prior experience as a Counselor in an after school setting, recreation, teaching or childcare position. Supervisory experience desired.
- Skills in leadership development, motivation, communication, songs, storytelling, games and sports desired.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Group Leader” – to HR@fdconline.org
Summer Day Camp Counselor
Flatbush Development Corporation is seeking qualified individuals for our summer camp programs. The Day Camp Counselor has the closet relationship with the campers in their group and will not only be an influential role model, but also directly impact the children’s overall camp experience. Beyond the day to day challenges, being a day camp counselor is one of the most rewarding positions and crucial for a successful camp program.
- Provide campers assigned to their group a safe and healthy environment.
- Ensure cleanliness and safety of camp community and equipment.
- Daily supervision of campers ensuring all an enjoyable and beneficial experience, both in the camp community and on field trips.
- Leading activities in assigned program areas, motivating campers to participate in an “organized” and safe activity.
- Keep immediate supervisor informed daily of any concerns or problems concerning campers and facilities.
- Follow all guidelines regarding summer trips and travel.
- Adhere to all FDC Program standards.
- Participate in planning/implementation of special activities such a theme day, field trips and camp activities.
- Perform specific scheduled duties during lunch, arrival, and departure.
- Attend 30 hours of pre-camp staff training.
- Fully support summer learning initiatives.
- Current CPR/First Aid certifications.
Qualifications: Must be 18 years of age or older. High school diploma or equivalent required. Minimum one year of work experience.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Counselor” to HR@fdconline.org
FDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Summer Day Camp Activity Specialist
Activity Specialist – Dance, Drama, Chorus & Recreation
Flatbush development Corporation is seeking qualified individuals for our summer camp programs who will be responsible for planning class content and structure, performing warm-up and demonstrating the techniques of Chorus, Dance, Drama & Recreation. The Activity Specialist is also responsible for lesson planning and ensuring full engagement of program participants.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Design and facilitate Dance techniques for children, grades K – 7th grade.
- Identify, select and modify instructional resources to meet the students’ needs with varying backgrounds, learning styles and special needs.
- Instruct participants in basic techniques to provide a quality competitive environment and physical training regimens.
- Organize and coordinate team practices and physical workouts.
- Assist in setting up and taking down equipment and preparing venue for activities and events.
- Assist in conducting classes for different age groups; instruct and coach participants; maintain equipment and facilities in clean and safe conditions.
- Monitor activities during training and practices; work with Counselors and Program Director on participant performance explaining techniques to assist with skill improvement.
- Supervise program participants and enforce rules, regulation and safety precautions; maintain discipline; monitor behavior and resolve issues.
- Prevent accidents through the enforcement of policies, rules, regulations and ordinances.
- Communicate effectively with parents, participants and staff.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident / accident reports, behavior report, attendance & sign-in / sign-out sheets).
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years of work experience teaching youth.
- Current CPR/First Aid certifications.
- Must be available to work Monday – Friday, at least 3 times a week.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist” to HR@fdconline.org
FDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.