Liberty Chemists1501 Newkirk Plaza
Liberty Chemists (1501 Newkirk Ave) on the northeast corner of Newkirk Avenue and Marlborough Road, arrived in 2018, replacing a medical recovery products store and before that a law office. This building and its attached neighbors were erected in 1921. In 1922 Helen’s Tea Room opened during the peak of Prohibition, followed by Victoria Cafeteria in 1930. Once booze became legal again in 1932, an establishment selling beer opened here but two years later its license was revoked for selling hard liquor. There followed a succession of restaurants with liquor licenses and then professional occupants until Liberty Chemists took over.
1940 “Bar & Grill”
1963 “Hot Meals”
1923 Helen’s Tea Room – Brooklyn Daily Eagle Ad