Flatbush Development Corporation is seeking well-rounded, outgoing, friendly individuals who have a passion working with elementary/Middle School students to apply for our Counselor position. As a counselor, you have the closest relationship with the participants in their group and will not only be an influential role model but also directly impact the children’s overall camp experience. Specific Responsibilities:
- Implement FDC program curriculum, helping school age children to improve literacy competencies, values and physical fitness in an activity based after school environment.
- Provide a positive role model for children by exhibiting proper behavior and demeanor.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Work as a member of a professional team that provides a positive, growth promoting environment for all children.
- Assist children with homework and guide students in their academic growth.
- Understand and communicate the FDC philosophy and the goals of the FDC School Age Programs to the students and parents.
- Plan and create innovative age appropriate activities and develop lesson plans to conduct them on a daily basis; Read, tell stories, lead songs and games.
- Communicate with families about their children’s strengths and areas needing attention on a weekly basis.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings and special events.
- Maintain a ratio of one (1) counselor for every 10 students.
- Attend the minimum required 15 hours of staff training during the school year. Attend 2 Saturday trainings. Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or 1 year of college with course work in child development or related field in which working with children is the focus.
- Prior experience as a Counselor in an after school setting, recreation, teaching or childcare position. Supervisory experience desired.
- Skills in leadership development, motivation, communication, songs, storytelling, games and sports desired.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills
- As of the effective date of this posting, COVID-19 vaccine is required for this position as per Executive Order 75 and the Order of the Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene to Require COVID-19 Vaccination for DOE Employees, Contractors and Others
Equal Employment Opportunity
Flatbush Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
NYC COVID-Safe Requirement
FDC is subject to the terms of the “COVID-Safe Requirement” which requires all persons newly hired for employment by any City agency to provide proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to beginning their employment, except for those who obtain an exception due to medical or religious reasons through the reasonable accommodation process.
|Job Category||After School|
|PTO||40 Hours Per Year -On an accural basis|
|403 B||Retire options available|