Flatbush Development Corporation is seeking well-rounded, outgoing, and friendly individuals who have a passion for working with Elementary/Middle School students to apply for our Counselor position. As a counselor, you have the closest relationship with the participants in their group and will not only be an influential role model but impact the children’s overall camp experience.
Must be 18 years of age and have graduated from high school.
Service Location Options:
P.S. 217 Colonel David Marcus School: 1100 Newkirk Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11230 1:50- 5:45 pm
P.S. 152 School of Science & Technology: 725 E. 23rd St. Brooklyn, NY 11210 1:50- 5:45 pm
J.H.S – I.S. 062 Ditmas: 700 Cortelyou Rd., Brooklyn, NY 11218 2:00 – 5:30 pm
· Implement FDC program curriculum, helping school-age children to improve literacy competencies, values, and physical fitness in an activity based after-school environment.
· Provide a positive role model for children by exhibiting proper behavior and demeanor.
· Insure the health, safety, and well-being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
· Work as a member of a professional team that provides a positive, growth-promoting environment for all children.
· Assist children with homework and guide students in their academic growth.
· Understand and communicate the FDC philosophy and the goals of the FDC School Age Programs to the students and parents.
· Plan and create innovative age-appropriate activities and develop lesson plans to conduct them on a daily basis; Read, tell stories, and lead songs and games.
· Communicate with families about their children’s strengths and areas needing attention on a weekly basis.
· Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings and special events.
· Maintain a ratio of one (1) counselor for every 10 students.
· Attend the minimum required 15 hours of staff training during the school year. Attend 2 Saturday trainings.
· High School Diploma or 1 year of college with course work in child development or related field in which working with children is the focus.
· Prior experience as a Counselor in an after-school setting, recreation, teaching or childcare position.
· Supervisory experience desired.
· Skills in leadership development, motivation, communication, songs, storytelling, games and sports desired.
· Experience teaching dance skills a big plus!
Qualified candidates should send a resume with a cover note that explains your ability and passion for a position of this nature, along with your salary requirements.
· 4-hour shift
· Monday to Friday
|Job Category||Part Time|
|Salary||$16.00 - $17.00 per hour|